Flavor combinations that make more sense than Wasabi and Maple
By Keith Shaw
Secretary of Snacks
Just in case you've been holding your breath wondering, "I wonder what the top flavors of 2007 will be?", the fine folks at McCormick have come up with their forecast. The company this week announced its Flavor Forecast 2007, an "annual look at the tastes that will define the year." McCormick just happens to make a lot of the flavors that made the list. Amazing.
Anyway, the top 10 flavors for 2007, according to McCormick, include:
- Clove and Green Apple
- Thyme and Tangerine
- Tellicherry Black Pepper and Berry (what the heck is a Tellicherry?)
- Sea Salt and Smoked Tea (you can smoke tea?)
- Lavender and Honey
- Crystallized Ginger and Salted Pistachio
- Cumin and Apricot
- Toasted Mustard and Fennel Seeds
- Wasabi and Maple
- Carmelized Garlic and Riesling Vinegar
For snack fans, it's unlikely that a lot of these combinations will end up in your next batch of Doritos or Lay's, although some may appear in gourmet potato chip varieties, maybe from a brand like Kettle Chips or Terra. The McCormick web site offers recipes that include some of the combinations.
The company says it uses a "network of researchers, trend experts, chefs, home economists, food technologists and sensory analysts" to compile its forecast, which makes me wonder how to become trained as a "sensory analyst" or a "food technologist". There's probably some math involved.
If you asked me, the snack manufacturers should ignore flavor combinations like those from McCormick, and instead focus on flavors that might work well on a potato chip or a cheese puff. Here are my suggestions for flavors:
- Ketchup and bacon
- Bacon and barbecue sauce
- Ketchup, mustard and onion (make it taste like a McDonald's cheeseburger)
- Mustard, onion and pickle (hot dog)
- Fried dough ('nuff said)
- Lucky Charms
- Sweet and sour sauce
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier