Kelly's Roast Beef steps up to fill a void
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
Here at Taquitos.net, we've been paying very close attention to 35 Revere Beach Parkway in Medford, Massachusetts, for years now.
First, we watched them demolish the old Bickford's as we chronicled the quest to build a Krispy Kreme store there.
After many months of waiting, we attended the store's opening day in June 2003, of course, followed by eating many free samples on many return vists (plus an occasional purchase of doughnuts).
Next, we cried as this Krispy Kreme store closed just two and half years later in December 2005.
Since December, we've been mostly bored by the vacant Krispy Kreme building.
Now, we're psyched to see that they're turning the store into a Kelly's Roast Beef! Signs in the windows say it will be opening late this summer.
Kelly's is most famous for the original location on Revere Beach — not to be confused with this Revere Beach Parkway address (and by the way, you don't pronounce the second R). They've also got restaurants at the Jordan's Furniture in Natick, plus Danvers and Saugus. And they're as famous for their seafood as they are for their roast beef. I don't think they have doughnuts at all.
The building permit says it's a "non-structural remodel." A peek through the windows revealed quite a bit of work being done inside, as the old counter was already gone, what looked like booths were being constructed, and the big window in front of the doughnut machine had been removed.
More About Krispy Kreme
- The Day the Doughnuts Died
- Why Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Rule
- Krispy Kreme Poll
- Krispy Kreme Locations
- Krispy Kreme Comes to Life in Medford, Massachusetts
- Krispy Kreme Arrives in Rhode Island
- Doughnut of the Year
- A Krispy Kreme Life
More About Fast Food
- Hold the chicken!
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Can Taco Bell haunt us with Ghost Pepper?
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Taco Bell adds Cool Ranch version of Doritos tacos
- Bacon joins dessert at Burger King
- Locos Tacos bring Doritos taste to tacos
- Doubling Down on this KFC sandwich
- Running success? It's gotta be the Chick-fil-A
- Chicken McNuggets: 25 years of dunkable chicken
- McDonald's Ode to Chick-fil-A: I'm (Not) Lovin' It
- Taste test: KFC's "Original" Chicken Strips
- Wendys shows us the beef (and bacon)
- Taco Bell tests PayPass system
- Great Bowls of Lameness
- Hail Taco Bell! Chicken Caesar Burrito rocks!
- Shamrock Shake and Cherry Pies at McDonald's
- The Joy of the Crunchwrap Supreme
- Where have all the fries gone?
- SNL creates the ultimate taco