Snack companies rushing to catch the Whole Grain bandwagon
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
It wasn't long ago that you had to go to Whole Foods to find a snack that was even remotely Whole Grain. Now the mainstream snack companies are rushing to get whole grain snacks onto store shelves. Here at Taquitos.net's headquarters, we've been inundated lately with samples of new whole grain (and multigrain) snacks.
Next Old Dutch pushed the craze to new heights when they sent us their Multigrain tortilla chips in two different shapes: bite-size rounds and triangles. (Reviews are coming soon.)
Analysis: The bottom line here at Taquitos.net is always how enjoyable the snacks are to eat. Health claims mean nothing to us if the snack is inedible. Generally, the whole grain chips have been good, but not as crisp as conventional tortilla chips. Multi-grain chips also suffer from the crispness problem, but depending on the mix of grains, you do sometimes get more flavor from the mix of grains.
Compared to the dreadful products linked to the Atkins dietary craze a few years back, the new snacks have been quite good. But the crispness and grittiness will hurt these products' mass appeal. I doubt that the mainstream whole grain trend is here to stay. The craze will peak at some point, and whole grain will return to being a niche market for the healthy food crowd, with few whole grain snacks in conventional supermarket snack aisles.
More About Snacks
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier