It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you snack
By Keith Shaw
Secretary of Snacks
It's time once again for the snacker's favorite holiday — the Super Bowl — or as we like to call it around here, "Snacker Bowl Sunday." It's the part of the year where you can officially quit your New Year's resolution to lose more weight, go put on a pair of sweatpants and pig out on your favorite treats.
But Snacker Bowl Sunday does take some planning, so we're here to give you some tips and suggestions to make your party the most snacktacular ever.
This year the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing the Seattle Seahawks, and for once we here at Taquitos.net headquarters can concentrate on our snack plans instead of pacing in our living room playing Simpsons Uno while the game is on. (We're fans of the New England Patriots, and that’s how we watched their victories in three out of the last four Super Bowls.)
Since the Pats aren't playing, we're suggesting that you abandon any plans for New England-style chips at your Snacker Bowl Party. That means no Cape Cod chips. However, in honor of the Steel City (Pittsburgh in case you forgot), we are allowing you to try Kettle Corn, which is made these days in steel kettles (see the review of Poppin' Shoppe Kettle Corn for more information). When it comes to potato chips, Pittsburgh-area chip maker Snyder of Berlin would be a good choice. We're also OK with Gibble's chips (also known as Nibble with Gibble's), since the manufacturer is in Pennsylvania.
Fans of the Steelers can also enjoy other Pennsylvania-made snacks, including pretzels from Snyder's of Hanover, snacks from Herr's or any of the Utz-branded potato chips and snacks. Pennsylvania is a snack mecca, so any time we're there we love looking for new snacks.
Finally, in honor of Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger, we think you should have some burgers on hand — it goes against our theory of not having to cook anything in order to have a snack, but in this case we think having an honorary Ben Roethlis-burger would be OK.
If you're a fan of the Seahawks, there are a few rules in terms of your snacking priority. First, you MUST go out and buy a bunch of Tim's Cascade Style potato chips, the best darn chip in the Northwest. We don't care if you get the regular version or the jalapeño style, they are both quite awesome and a perfect way to show your love of Seattle. Second, go out and find some Wasabi Funyuns, as nothing says fun like wasabi and onions. Mmmmm!
We couldn't think of any fun snack-related name puns for Matt Hasselbeck or Shaun Alexander, so no recommendations there. Since Seattle is the Starbucks capital of the world, you might want to throw in some coffee-flavored snacks, but we kind of frown on that since coffee and potato chips don't really mix well together.
Whatever you decide to have at your Snacker Bowl Sunday party, remember to snack responsibly — no cooking, don't eat so much that you miss the hilarious commercials, and remember to pace yourself — it's a long game.
More About Snacks
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier