Medford loses its landmark Krispy Kreme location
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
Here at Taquitos.net, we closely followed the arrival of Krispy Kreme in Massachusetts.
We tracked the construction of the Medford store, and opening day was the state's biggest event of 2003. On opening day, June 24, 2003, I waited 45 minutes get doughnuts. The store set Krispy Kreme's one-day and opening-week sales records.
There were steady lines for the first few weeks and months. The store was persistent in handing out free samples long after opening week. And the doughnuts were good. But the crowds thinned out over time. For the past year, I would often arrive to a nearly empty parking lot. I was well aware of Krispy Kreme's troubles, but I figured that with the huge Station Landing condo and retail development under construction right next door, Krispy Kreme would wait it out and let the Wellington Circle store survive.
Today, less than two and half years after the opening, we were sad to learn that the store has closed. We look back with fond memories.
NEXT: What happens to a closed Krispy Kreme?
More About Krispy Kreme
- Phoenix rises from the ashes of Krispy Kreme
- Why Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Rule
- Krispy Kreme Poll
- Krispy Kreme Locations
- Krispy Kreme Comes to Life in Medford, Massachusetts
- Krispy Kreme Arrives in Rhode Island
- Doughnut of the Year
- A Krispy Kreme Life
More About Fast Food
- Hold the chicken!
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Can Taco Bell haunt us with Ghost Pepper?
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Taco Bell adds Cool Ranch version of Doritos tacos
- Bacon joins dessert at Burger King
- Locos Tacos bring Doritos taste to tacos
- Doubling Down on this KFC sandwich
- Running success? It's gotta be the Chick-fil-A
- Chicken McNuggets: 25 years of dunkable chicken
- McDonald's Ode to Chick-fil-A: I'm (Not) Lovin' It
- Taste test: KFC's "Original" Chicken Strips
- Wendys shows us the beef (and bacon)
- Taco Bell tests PayPass system
- Great Bowls of Lameness
- Hail Taco Bell! Chicken Caesar Burrito rocks!
- Shamrock Shake and Cherry Pies at McDonald's
- The Joy of the Crunchwrap Supreme
- Where have all the fries gone?
- SNL creates the ultimate taco