Taste test: These cupcakes took the basic formula for the Devil's Food Hostess Cupcakes and swapped things out, replacing the chocolate cake with a yellow cake, the creme filling with a caramel one, the chocolate frosting with caramel frosting and the white swoops in the frosting with off-white ones. (Language note: The dictation software on my Mac used the word "yellowcake" — which I very much hope wasn't one of the ingredients in this yellow cake.) They also added some chunks of salt to the top.
The package contained eight cupcakes, individually wrapped. I bit in to my first one to find a nice soft feel and a delicious caramel flavor, with occasional bits of salt offering some contrast. A cross-section of the interior showed that the filling and cake were much tougher to distinguish by color than it showed on the box, but still, from the outside, the cupcakes looked quite good. Very tasty for this lover of caramel!
Shop: Buy snack cakes on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very nice caramel smell. Wow!
From the package: “Caramel iced yellow cake with sea salt topping & creamy caramel filling”
Online store: Buy snack cakes on Amazon #ad
Company: Hostess Brands, LLC
Categories for this snack:
- All Hostess (43 snacks)
- Limited Editions (414 snacks)
- Caramel Snacks (337 snacks)
- Sea Salt Chips (232 snacks)
- Snack Cakes (202 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Market Basket. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Banshee Bones
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Blekis Bléo Crème
- Snickers Peanut Brownie
- Hostess Donettes Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow
- Hostess Twinkies Mint Chocolate
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road