Taste test: These cupcakes took the basic formula for the Devil's Food Hostess Cupcakes and swapped things out, replacing the chocolate cake with a yellow cake, the creme filling with a caramel one, the chocolate frosting with caramel frosting and the white swoops in the frosting with off-white ones. (Language note: The dictation software on my Mac used the word "yellowcake" — which I very much hope wasn't one of the ingredients in this yellow cake.) They also added some chunks of salt to the top.
The package contained eight cupcakes, individually wrapped. I bit in to my first one to find a nice soft feel and a delicious caramel flavor, with occasional bits of salt offering some contrast. A cross-section of the interior showed that the filling and cake were much tougher to distinguish by color than it showed on the box, but still, from the outside, the cupcakes looked quite good. Very tasty for this lover of caramel!
Shop: Buy snack cakes on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very nice caramel smell. Wow!
From the package: “Caramel iced yellow cake with sea salt topping & creamy caramel filling”
Online store: Buy snack cakes on Amazon #ad
Company: Hostess Brands, LLC
Categories for this snack:
- Limited Editions (401 snacks)
- Caramel Snacks (330 snacks)
- Sea Salt Chips (226 snacks)
- Snack Cakes (189 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Market Basket. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Pelly Pellets Jamón
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Fritos Lime & Chile Corn Chips
- Takis Blue Heat
- Corn Pops Jumbo Snax Caramel Crunch
- Speedy Choice Carolina Reaper Premium Cheese Curls
- Froot Loops Jumbo Snax
- Kraken Extra Hot Flavor
- Speedy Choice Fire Roasted Sweet Corn Premium Popcorn
- Goldfish Cheddar Made with Organic Wheat
What We're Eating
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road