Taste test: The three cakes in this package seemed to be at first about as banana as you can get. They were shaped like bananas, had the word BANANA formed in huge letters across the top of each one, and there was even a monkey's face on the package, looking ready to eat a banana.
So naturally, we wondered, are they really made from bananas? We checked the ingredients, and yes, they had no bananas!
We cut the cakes into pieces lengthwise (making sure to cut between letters) to share them around, and in the process, we discovered that there was a yellow-ish filling running the full length of each piece, not quite centered in the cake. We bit in to find kind of a fake banana taste — probably less like real banana than most banana candies. The taste wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.
The cakes were fun to look at and play with, but they didn't have a very authentic or even good banana taste.
Shop: Buy snack cakes on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Kind of like fake banana candy.
From the package: “Ing: Bean Paste, Whole Milk, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Margarine, Oligo Saccharide, Baking Powder, Lecithin (Soy), Tocopherol, Flavor, Caroten.” ... “Product of Japan”
Online store: Buy snack cakes on Amazon #ad
Company: Daiei Trading Co., Inc.
Categories for this snack:
- Snacks from Japan (171 reviews)
- Fruit Snacks (444 snacks)
- Snacks Shaped Like Things (395 snacks)
- Snack Cakes (205 snacks)
- Banana (39 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2015
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Pringles Scorchin' Cheddar
- Milka Caramel
- Hal's New York Kettle Chips Sea Salt & Vinegar
- 7 Select Flavored Jumbo Peanuts Wasabi Soy
- Jacob's Baked Crinklys Cheese & Onion
- Trolli Sour Crunchy Crawlers
- Yupi Gople Con Todo Original
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road