Rold Gold Recipe No. 5 Savory Butter
Taste test: The branding on this bag was a bit confounding, as it had the Rold Gold logo, but that was in the context of declaring itself to be "From the makers of Rold Gold Pretzels," a phrasing which typically means it's something other than Rold Gold Pretzels. But the marketing copy on the back of the bag implied that they were Rold Gold, and if they weren't. the bag provided no brand name to replace it. They put the trademark symbol next to the number 5 — not sure that one would hold up in court. (Also confusing was that this was No. 5 at all, when we've seen no sign of Nos. 1-4 in any snack aisle.)
The pieces were about 2-1/2 inches long, with straight overall shapes but composed of multiple strands braided together, in a typical pretzel range of color, with some light seasoning powder on the surfaces in addition to occasional chunks of salt.
I crunched in to find an unusual texture for a pretzel — it was crumbly rather than crunchy, as the whole thing sort of disintegrated upon hitting my teeth. That's very different from most pretzels, including Rold Gold's Honey Wheat Braided Twists. The taste seemed slightly garlicy and maybe just remotely buttery, mild overall, and it was actually quite good.
Shop: Buy Rold Gold on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Just very slightly buttery.
From the package: “From the makers of Rold Gold Pretzels” ... “Artificially flavored pretzel twists” ... “Rold Gold has always been good at pretzels, but thanks to our new Innovation Kitchen we are also great at flavor … And … we've got a new liner flavor recipes to prove it! This is recipe No. 5! … And … these twists are full of delicious, savory, buttery flavor. Enjoy!”
Online store: Buy Rold Gold on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Rold Gold Pretzels (40 snacks)
- Pretzels (555 snacks)
- Butter Snacks (90 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2020
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Nestlé Breakaway Original
- Today Karamel Waffle
- Raylicious Soft Cookies Chocolate Chip
- Coco Goods Coconut Chips Chocolate
- Landmark Confections Mini Fudge Marshmallow Cookies
- Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel
- Bean Boozled Fiery Five Challenge
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road