What's a Snack Squad, and where are they? I had to find out
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
Fruits of the Snack Squad
The Snack Squad is some marketing thing created by Wise Foods in conjunction with the Boston Red Sox and the New York Mets. As soon as I heard that the Snack Squad existed, I knew that regardless of what the Snack Squad is or what it does, I had track it down.
The squad's Interweb-based schedule said that they were going to be at Boston's Aquarium Station on the MBTA Blue Line from noon to 6. That did seem an odd location for a Snack Squad to show up, as the plaza around the nearby New England Aquarium would seem a more logical spot, but since the decision had already been made to find the Snack Squad, I got going.
The Aquarium station has two entrances, one on Long Wharf right near the Aquarium and the other across the "Big Dig" surface roads on State Street. I figured it had to be the exit on the wharf. I kept my eyes open for an in-station Snack Squad as I headed toward the exit, but I saw nothing. Upon exiting the station at Long Wharf end, I looked around and found nothing resembling a Snack Squad. I ventured along the various touristy kiosks on the wharf to seek out the squad, but still no Wise. I headed toward the Aquarium, still nothing. Right in front of the Aquarium, the usual aquarium stuff and lots of tourists, but no Snack Squad.
I was ready to give up, but I figured I would cross over the Big Dig to the other subway entrance on the remote chance that there was a Snack Squad there.
I walked around the entrance once and didn't seen any kind of Wise kiosk, Wise van, or anything Wise, and I figured, that was it, no Snack Squad.
I looped around the entrance just to make sure I didn't miss it, and then noticed a few people in Wise t-shirts. They were very low-key, and if I hadn't come looking for the Snack Squad, I probably would never have noticed them. They seemed to be associated with some unlabeled van, presumably loaded with snacks. The squad members looked a lot like the folks pictured on the bag, with the major exception being the absence of David Ortiz, who was not present. (Big Papi is quite a big guy, so if he had been present, it would probably have been easier to find the Snack Squad.)
The Snack Squad folks didn't even approach me. I approached them and was offered a bag of Crunchy Cheez Doodles. I'm not the kind of person who would ever turn down a bag of Cheez Doodles, especially a bag with David Ortiz and the Snack Squad pictured on front, so I took it. I asked if they were doing some sort of Red Sox promotion, and then they gave me a Big Papi Scratch & Win baseball card. (For some reason, they didn't give me the card until I asked.) I scratched it and won a bag of Wise snacks. So they gave me another bag of Cheez Doodles. At that point, the Snack Squad wanted to take a picture of me and another prize winner, and I obliged. Since the big prizes involved Red Sox tickets, I asked for another card before leaving. Guess what, I won another bag of Wise snacks, though I didn't even bother to redeem it. (I suspect there are no actual losing cards.)
More About Sports
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Play ball! And don't forget to eat ...
- Red Sox serve up new munchies for Spring Training
- Running success? It's gotta be the Chick-fil-A
- Hot dog! Take the Spring Training food tour
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Hood hits a homer with Red Sox ice cream
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier