New flavors that might be coming to a chip bag near you
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
One of the best things about attending the annual Snaxpo convention is the chance to taste some flavors that you're unlikely to find at any of the usual snacks and grocery destinations.
At Snaxpo, the annual gathering of the Snack Food Association, companies in the flavor business are on hand to push their creations to the snack manufacturers.
Most of these flavors are essentially exclusive to Snaxpo. That's not to say that the folks who came up with these flavors wouldn't want you to try them, but really they were created to show off these companies' flavor-making skills and give ideas to the chip companies.
This year's flavors were as impressive as ever. Here are some highlights:
Wixon Inc. had a "Global Street Food" theme to their flavor selection, offering barbecue styles from around the world:
- Kansas City BBQ potato chips
- Argentinean Asado sweet potato chips
- Korean Kalbi crunchy snacks
- South African Braai corn puffs
- Russian Shashlik potato balls
Continental Ingredients had some combination of tastes that I'd never seen before:
- Maple Mustard potato chips
- Stuffed Pepper potato chips
- Mexican Mole potato chips
- Yuzo Kosho potato chips
Continental also served up a "World Trail Mix" with four different snacks interspersed, but each bearing a different seasoning:
- Bacon Cheddar rings
- Tikka Masala peanuts
- Buffalo Wing spheres
- Cha Cha Chili checkerboards
Mane's flavors included:
- Salsa Borracha (drunken salsa)
Gamay offered up:
- Mole Poblano
- White Cheddar Parmesan Mac & Cheese (not actual macaroni, but a potato chip flavored to taste like it)
Carolina ingredients featured these flavors:
- Grandma's Sweet Potato Pie (on a sweet potato chip)
- Baja Salsa
Kraft Food Ingredients had some Mexican-spiced seasonings:
- Queso Fundito
Syrmise had some bold potato chip flavors:
- Asiago Cheese & Black Pepper
- Piri Piri Citrus Pepper
Fuchs had their own bold flavors:
- Sweet Pepper Relish
- Lemon Grass Thai Sweet Basil
One of the mysterious parts of the snack business is that the snack companies normally won't tell you which of these flavor companies supply their ingredients, and the flavor folks have been sworn to keep their clients' names confidential. So the taste of your favorite chip might actually be the handiwork of these flavor companies, but you'll never know, as they live in anonymity.
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier