Kernel Encore's shipping method stands out
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
The folks at Kernel Encore recently sent us 10 bags of popcorn, and so far it's turned out to be very good popcorn. But the big surprise was the way that they packed it.
As I started to open the shipping box, I smelled popcorn. Uh-oh, I thought, I've seen this before. Some of the bags must have been breached during shipment, spilling popcorn into the box.
So I opened it to find that in between the small bags of popcorn, the whole box was filled with popcorn. Packing popcorn. It seemed to do the job traditionally performed by packing peanuts quite well, as the bags were all in good shape. The total amount of packing popcorn easily exceeded the amount of popcorn in the 10 bags. It was slightly messy to discard the packing popcorn into a garbage bag before breaking down the box for (as Mr. Burns would say) re-cy-cling, but thankfully they didn't appear to put any oil, butter or salt on the packing popcorn. I tried one of the kernels just for the heck of it, and it was stale, but I wasn't expecting edible popcorn.
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier