McNuggets now old enough to rent a car
By Keith Shaw
Secretary of Snacks
You know you're getting old when you realize that the Chicken McNugget is now a quarter of a century old.
According to McDonald's, the McNugget was introduced to the national U.S. menu in 1983. (For some reason, I think I remember eating McNuggets a lot earlier than 1983, but it's possible that upstate New York got to enjoy McNuggets before the rest of the country.) McDonald's says McNuggets are now sold in more than 100 countries worldwide.
As part of McNugget Mania, the restaurant chain has launched a new fan site, Nuggnuts.com, where people can express their joy of McNuggets. We'd rather just have you read our article on McNuggets, written a few years ago when McDonald's switched their recipe to include "all white meat" and eliminate the game of McNugget Roulette (the odd chance you'd get a dark meat McNugget).
Some additional thoughts on McNuggets:
- At the moment it's one of the only items from McDonald's that my daughter will eat (she won't touch the hamburgers). She digs the fries, so there's hope for her.
- I still think that the Sweet & Sour Sauce is better than the barbecue sauce. Another great innovation at McDonald's is the ability to pump your own S&S or BBQ sauce instead of having to ask for the packets at the counter – you can now dunk your fries in the sauces without having to buy McNuggets. I'm not even sure whether McDonald's still offers the other sauces (hot mustard perhaps?).
More About McDonald's
More About Fast Food
- Hold the chicken!
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Can Taco Bell haunt us with Ghost Pepper?
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Taco Bell adds Cool Ranch version of Doritos tacos
- Bacon joins dessert at Burger King
- Locos Tacos bring Doritos taste to tacos
- Doubling Down on this KFC sandwich
- Running success? It's gotta be the Chick-fil-A
- Taste test: KFC's "Original" Chicken Strips
- Wendys shows us the beef (and bacon)
- Taco Bell tests PayPass system
- Great Bowls of Lameness
- Phoenix rises from the ashes of Krispy Kreme
- Hail Taco Bell! Chicken Caesar Burrito rocks!
- Shamrock Shake and Cherry Pies at McDonald's
- The Joy of the Crunchwrap Supreme
- The Day the Doughnuts Died
- Where have all the fries gone?
- SNL creates the ultimate taco