Burger King and Cheetos team up!
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
When a new thing gets added to the list of things that you can deep-fry, it gets a lot of attention — think Oreos, Twinkies, Butter and Doritos-shaped mozzarella sticks. When news spread over the Interweb about this new one from Burger King, some friends who shared links with me said it sounded awful. I've had fried mac & cheese at restaurants (respectable ones, not just BK), but the gimmick here was that they shaped the nuggets like Cheetos Puffs.
The cashier asked what sauce I wanted, offering me just standard BK sauces that go with chicken nuggets, so that was odd. The Mac n' Cheetos packaging was quite nice. I particularly liked how they incorporated the Cheetos "Dangerously Cheesy" slogan. I opened it to find that two of the five pieces were stuck together, but otherwise the pieces did generally resemble Cheetos.
The taste was pretty good, as they were indeed filled with small pieces of macaroni bathing in cheese, and the breading was just lightly fried. What was missing was the Cheetos taste. It seems they forgot to put a huge amount of cheese seasoning (or really any) on the outside to accomplish the "Dangerously Cheesy" aspect. Still, not bad.
More About Fast Food
- Hold the chicken!
- Can Taco Bell haunt us with Ghost Pepper?
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Taco Bell adds Cool Ranch version of Doritos tacos
- Bacon joins dessert at Burger King
- Locos Tacos bring Doritos taste to tacos
- Doubling Down on this KFC sandwich
- Running success? It's gotta be the Chick-fil-A
- Chicken McNuggets: 25 years of dunkable chicken
- McDonald's Ode to Chick-fil-A: I'm (Not) Lovin' It
- Taste test: KFC's "Original" Chicken Strips
- Wendys shows us the beef (and bacon)
- Taco Bell tests PayPass system
- Great Bowls of Lameness
- Phoenix rises from the ashes of Krispy Kreme
- Hail Taco Bell! Chicken Caesar Burrito rocks!
- Shamrock Shake and Cherry Pies at McDonald's
- The Joy of the Crunchwrap Supreme
- The Day the Doughnuts Died
- Where have all the fries gone?
- SNL creates the ultimate taco
More About Snacks
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier