It's a changing of the chip this baseball season!
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
I can't find any press releases or news reports about it, but I was inside Fenway Park this morning (thanks November Project!), and there are billboards declaring Lay's to be the official potato chip of the Red Sox. (Baseball season opens today, but the Red Sox are on the road in Cleveland.)
Wise chips have been sold at Fenway Park since at least 2007, when they were announced with great fanfare to be the "Official Potato Chip and Cheez Doodle Sponsor of the Boston Red Sox." There have been Wise snack bags bearing the Red Sox logo sold seasonally in New England stores ever since. In 2008, Wise ran a traveling "Snack Squad" promotion featuring David Ortiz to promote the Red Sox partnership, as well as a deal with the Mets. In 2012, the Yankees, who for many years had an Utz billboard in Yankee Stadium's right field, switched from Utz to Lay's as their chip.
More About Sports
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Play ball! And don't forget to eat ...
- Red Sox serve up new munchies for Spring Training
- Running success? It's gotta be the Chick-fil-A
- Hot dog! Take the Spring Training food tour
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Hood hits a homer with Red Sox ice cream
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier