Cheetos get all the love
By Keith Shaw
Secretary of Snacks
I was recently surprised to find several bags of Bachman's Jax cheese puffs in the office vending machine. The selection there tends to be dominated by Frito-Lay brands, and in the cheese puff world, this means Cheetos. So I quickly bought as many bags of Jax as possible.
When I returned to my work area, I noticed that a co-worker was also enjoying a bag of Jax, and I proclaimed my love for Jax, hoping that he would agree. He said "Meh" and another co-worker chimed in, "Ewww, I prefer Cheetos." No love for the Jax, apparently.
Jax tend to be the black sheep of the cheese puff world. Crunchy Cheetos, of course, are the standard by which all other crunchy cheese curls are judged, and if we had a 10 Commandments of Snack Reviews on Taquitos.net, that would certainly be the Cheese Puff Commandment. But that's just for crunchy. I still maintain that Jax are the puffed standard, despite attempts by Frito-Lay to knock off Jax with its versions of puffed snacks (and don't even talk to me about Cheese Doodles).
Anyway, yesterday I bought the last bag of Jax from the vending machine, in its place in slot A4 are Cheetos (sigh). I doubt that Jax will return to the machine anytime soon, but the joy of the 3 bags that I ate will stay with me for weeks.
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier