Hostess expands its empire into the frozen aisle
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
Since the return of Twinkies and other Hostess products to the grocery shelves in 2013, we've seen many new varieties of Hostess snack cakes, but these new ones really caught me by surprise.
The big difference was where I spotted them — I never expected to see Twinkies and Ding Dongs logos in the novelties section of the ice cream aisle.
Let's start with the weird one. The Twinkies box came with four frozen treats, but they didn't remotely resemble Twinkies. They were just premade ice cream cones in a "Twinkies" flavor. The yellowish stuff at the top actually did remind me of the taste of Twinkies, but once I'd eaten that, it was just a sugar cone filled with vanilla ice cream (plus, super-oddly, some chocolate lining the inside of the cone).
For the Ding Dongs, they went with a much more predictable formula. These things looked exactly like Ding Dongs from the outside. On the inside, they subbed vanilla ice cream for the creme filling, and it seemed like there was actually even more ice cream than there is filling in a conventional Ding Dong. A great way to stick to the original Ding Dong concept while making a delicious chocolate treat!
The Sno Balls bars? Yeah, I didn't buy any.
One caveat to all of this is that, despite the Hostess label on all of these boxes, none were actually made by Hostess. They licensed the brands to Nestlé Dreyer's Ice Cream Company. Here's my challenge to Hostess/Nestlé Dreyer's: Please, let's see a frozen Twinkies ice cream treat that actually looks like a Twinkie!
More About Ice Cream
- Food Truck Journal: Frozen Hoagies
- Attack of the Cones!
- Hood hits a homer with Red Sox ice cream
- Cold Stone Creamery Quandary
- Shamrock Shake and Cherry Pies at McDonald's
- Fresh ice cream in 45 seconds
More About Supermarkets
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Lunchables tries to Mess With Your Mouth
- The secret's in the breading
- Official Response from Nestle
- Scared of my Nestle Crunch bar
- The best to you each morning?
- The Lazy Man's PB&J
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier