Contest lets public pick new snack flavors
By Keith Shaw
Secretary of Snacks
I always knew that the flavor choices for potato chips (or crisps) were more daring in other countries than here in the U.S. — the market here can't even support a bacon-flavored chip for any length of time. But I never saw any that pushed the flavor envelope quite so far as in this recent story about Britain's leading crisp maker Walkers announcing the results of a contest that let the public pick some new crisp flavors.
The six winners:
- Cajun Squirrel
- Chilli and Chocolate
- Crispy Duck with Hoisin Sauce
- Fish and Chips
- Builder's Breakfast
- Onion Bhaji
According to the article, the Cajun Squirrel flavor was suggested by Martyn Wright, 26, who said he wanted to enter the contest when he saw squirrel on a restaurant menu.
All of the crisps will be sold until May, and then a vote will decide which flavor (or flavour, if you're from the U.K.) gets to stay on sale permanently. The creator of the winning flavor gets 50,000 pounds, plus 1 percent of future sales.
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Companies profit on 100-calorie snack packs
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier