The latest snack fad: offer less, charge the same or more
By Keith Shaw
Secretary of Snacks
I debate this issue often with Jeremy (Taquitos.net's chief snacks officer) — whether the 100-calorie snack packs are a healthy trend or not.
My argument is that the snack-packs, which put snacks in 100-calorie packages, are helpful for dieters and others who just want smaller portions.
Jeremy argues that you could just take a regular package of the snacks and distribute the standard snacks into little plastic sandwich bags, pay less, and get the same results. True, but all of that takes a little bit of effort, and we both know how much effort Americans generally exert when it comes to snacking.
That debate aside, it turns out those snack-packs are very profitable for the snack manufacturers as well, according to this New York Times article. This may explain why store shelves continue to see more of the 100-calorie snack types, not less.
Unlike the low-carb craze of a few years ago, I think the 100-calorie craze will stick around, especially if it makes money for the snack companies.
More About Supermarkets
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Twinkies everywhere!
- Smokin' Cheddar BBQ Doritos named champion
- Lunchables tries to Mess With Your Mouth
- The secret's in the breading
- Official Response from Nestle
- Scared of my Nestle Crunch bar
- The best to you each morning?
- The Lazy Man's PB&J
More About Snacks
- Lay's gets a new logo
- Lay's finds an odd way to roll out a dozen new flavors
- Turkey potato chips are taking over!
- It's Cheetos everywhere!
- Cheetos Popcorn has revolutionized baseball
- Mac n' Cheetos comes to BK's deep fryer
- Lay's chips replacing Wise at Fenway Park
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- Thanksgiving's for Snacking!
- The George Lucas Diet
- Doritos Loaded arrives at 7-Eleven
- Doritos gets a new logo — again!
- Crisp can innovation continues
- Improving on Pringles?
- Pringles flavors go exotic
- The long and crunchy road
- Savoring the flavorings at Snaxpo
- Stuck snack rescued!
- Potato chip company challenge: Why no oregano chips?
- Can the Chipmaster make his own chip?
- Squirrel-flavored crisps? Only in Britain
- Video: Keith knows cheese puffs
- Video: Snacking Debates, Round 1
- The Snacking Blanket
- Where's the salt?
- Thanksgiving Snacking Tips
- Jax: The disrespected cheese puff?
- Another Snacking Milestone
- They're packing some serious popcorn
- I found the Snack Squad!
- Bill Belichick will eat anything with salt
- Salt & Vinegar Chips Don't Suck
- Contest will name "experimental" Doritos flavor
- Potato chip signs are a hit at baseball parks
- Doritos bag was key to insider trading scheme
- What they're snacking on at 'The Office'
- 2006's Most Popular Snack Reviews
- Thyme and Tangerine? Bleh
- Resolve to Eat New Snacks in 2007
- Snacks for Christmas
- Calvin and Hobbes and Chips
- The Snacking Hour comes to cable
- Cracker lovers will love this truck
- A whole craze for Whole Grain snacks
- Super Bowl Snack Suggestions
- Coming soon to a snack store near you
- Talking turkey
- Easy Mac made even easier