Taste test: These cookies had chocolate chunks and some sort of yellowish chips or chunks jutting out from their top surfaces, with quite a bit of variation in shades of beige for the rest of the dough. The yellow things were presumably the banana component of the cookies, but they looked a lot like macadamia nuts.
We crunched in to find a mix of good chocolate and blatantly fake banana. At times, I thought I tasted maybe a hint of chocolate-covered banana, but then I realized that taste was so unlike a real banana that it was just wrong. I checked the ingredients, and there was nothing resembling actual banana.
The crunchy texture was far better than the various awful Chewy Chips Ahoy that we've reviewed previously, such as Brownie, Reese's, Gooey Caramel and Oreo. There was a lot of variation in the amounts of chocolate and banana from one cookie to the next — one particular cookie had no chocolate visible from the exterior, and just a few small chocolate pieces inside, confined to one end of the cookie.
I don't know of anyone who likes fake banana taste, so why do the snack companies keep trying it? For a special Limited Edition snack, couldn't they try using real banana in some form? Disappointing.
Shop: Buy Chips Ahoy! on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Smells like banana candy (not like real banana).
From the package: “Limited Edition!” ... “Naturally flavored” ... “Made in Mexico” ... “Make your Ahoy!wich”
Online store: Buy Chips Ahoy! on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Chips Ahoy! (26 snacks)
- Chocolate (1805 snacks)
- Cookies (637 snacks)
- Fruit Snacks (444 snacks)
- Limited Editions (419 snacks)
- Banana (39 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2015
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Star Market (formerly Shaws, and Star Market again before that), Porter Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Review published July 2015.
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Milka Caramel
- Hal's New York Kettle Chips Sea Salt & Vinegar
- 7 Select Flavored Jumbo Peanuts Wasabi Soy
- Jacob's Baked Crinklys Cheese & Onion
- Trolli Sour Crunchy Crawlers
- Yupi Gople Con Todo Original
- Marilan Tartelette Lime
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road