Uglies Mesquite BBQ
Taste test: These potato chips promised to be ugly by using potatoes that usually get rejected. When we took a first look inside the bag, they looked like pretty typical kettle-cooked chips, not noticeably ugly. There were folded-over pieces, and lots of smallest ones, but for the most part nothing out of the ordinary.
After shaking up the bag, I found one piece with an edge that was noticeably bright green. I ate that one first! The chips had a strong kettle-style crunch with a very mild mesquite barbecue taste, somewhat sweet too. It was not a standout flavor, but good. I looked for more unusual-looking chips and really couldn't find much. There was one chip with a darkish area, but I don’t think it would’ve raised an eyebrow in any other chip bag. So the chips were much less ugly than expected!
Shop: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Fairly mild mesquite barbecue smell.
From the package: “Our chips are crafted from rejected potatoes with minor imperfections” ... “Reducing waste & saving you money” ... “40% of food produced in the US goes uneaten” ... “26% of produce gets rejected for cosmetic reasons” ... “Wasted food is the largest component in land fills. ”
Online store: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad
Company: Dieffenbach's Potato Chips, Inc.
Categories for this snack:
This snack was discovered at Grocery Outlet. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Banshee Bones
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Snickers Peanut Brownie
- Hostess Donettes Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow
- Hostess Twinkies Mint Chocolate
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road