Savoursmiths Wagyu Beef and Honey Mustard Potato Crisps
Taste test: A beef and mustard potato chip played a key role in the early history (and indeed the pre-history) of Taquitos.net. Specifically, one of our chip hunters snagged a bag of Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard chips during a trip to England circa 1995. The sheer novelty of the flavor, along with the quality execution and intense mustard taste, advanced our nascent quest to find weird potato chip flavors that resulted in the launch of Taquitos.net in 2000.
Those delicious Brannigans chips also raised our taste expectations when another chip hunter brought this one back from the same place more than 20 years later. This flavor followed the trend of increasingly specific flavors, as Wagyu Beef apparently refers to a specific category of cows based in Japan.
We opened the bag to find that the chips had a pale yellow color, with lots of small bubbles embedded inside and some sightly purplish-looking skin around the edges. We crunched in to find a very, very mild flavor by any standard, but particularly when compared to the Brannigans chips. There was nothing in the way of beef, nor much of anything in way of honey mustard, or even just honey. There was a slight hint of a spicy mustard, perhaps even a wasabi mustard, in the aftertaste, but it was extremely mild. If not for the flavor being named on the bag, I don't think I would have guessed beef, mustard or honey, let alone a combination of the three. Disappointing flavor, and strong evidence that you can't judge a flavor by what it says on the bag — you've got it eat it!
Shop: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad
Smell test: There's an aroma, but it didn't remind me of beef, honey or mustard at all.
From the package: “Luxurious hand cooked British snacks with style” ... “What's the beef? If you think we've got Beef you'd be spot on! We've rounded up the mouth watering flavors of well marbled Wagyu Beef and introduced them to sweet notes of honey mustard. So yes, our Beef is really quite special actually…”
Online store: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- Snacks from the UK (329 reviews)
- Potato Chips (2019 snacks)
- Honey Snacks (155 snacks)
- Mustard Chips (62 snacks)
- Beef (43 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2018
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Raylicious Soft Cookies Chocolate Chip
- Coco Goods Coconut Chips Chocolate
- Landmark Confections Mini Fudge Marshmallow Cookies
- Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Caramel
- Bean Boozled Fiery Five Challenge
- Raylicious Carrot Cake
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road