Ruffles Beer Battered Onion Rings
Taste test: It's getting tougher and tougher to keep track of all of the different Ruffles varieties, and the scattered branding efforts to promote their latest ways to go "to the extreme!" are not helping. In the early 2000s, we had Ruffles Flavor Rush (available in Wild Wings & Ranch, Zesty Sour Cream & Onion and Big BBQ & Cheddar), with wider ripples and extra flavor. Ruffles Thick Cut landed in 2008 (we only found Baked Potato). In 2012, they devised Ruffles Ultimate with wider ripples (Kickin' Jalapeño Ranch, Loaded Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins, Sweet & Smokin' BBQ, Tangy Honey Mustard and of course Original). Then 2013 brought Ruffles Max, boasting more flavor (Flame Grilled Steak and — does this right a bell? — Beer Battered Onion Rings). Since that wasn't enough, 2019 brought Ruffles Double Crunch (Zesty Cheddar and Hot Wings).
And now we find no extra adjectives at all on this bag, as it's just Ruffles Beer Battered Onion Rings. And yet, they seemed to be the same as the Max ones, with medium-width ripples and a tasty (but not notably strong) sweet onion flavor. If the taste and crunch are the same, with or without the extra hype words, what are we to make of all that marketing excitement?
Shop: Buy Ruffles on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Not really onion at all, maybe a little creamy.
From the package: “Grab a bag of Ruffles® Beer Battered Onion Rings flavored chips and dig in. Think huge slices of onions, dunked in a golden beer batter and cooked up all crunchy. Now think of that same great flavor on a Ruffles® potato chip.”
Online store: Buy Ruffles on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Ruffles Potato Chips (50 snacks)
- Potato Chips (1987 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (590 snacks)
- Onion Snacks (111 snacks)
- Alcohol-themed Snacks (57 snacks)
This snack was discovered at Wal-Mart. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Lay's Flavor Icons Chile Relleno
- Takis Blue Heat
- Lay's Flavor Icons Nashville Hot Chicken
- Walkers Stax Sour Cream & Onion
- Toppo Cheese Tart
- Elite PesekZman Big Bite
- Late July Organic Sea Salt Thin & Crispy Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
- Shirakiku Cinema Popcorn Hot Spicy
- Lay's White Rabbit Rich Toffee
- Lay's Oyster Vermicelli
What We're Eating
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road