Pringles Tortillas Southwest Ranch
Taste test: This new Pringles variety caused quite a stir in the offices of Taquitos.net, because it wasn't just a new flavor but an entirely new kind of crisp, replacing the main ingredient of dehydrated potato with corn. Unlike the defunct Pringles spinoff brand Torengos — which were uniformly shaped but triangular — the shapes of these exactly matched standard Pringles. Although the shapes had that signature Pringles consistency, the surfaces did not; they had an overall color that was a somewhat mustardy yellow, but there were also lots of black, gray and brown spots of various sizes, and even some small holes here and there.
Despite the novelty of being corn-based, these weren't the first Pringles whose first ingredient is corn. The Multigrain Pringles started with corn, but they also included potato, rice, wheat, oat, barley and black beans.
This kind focused on corn and lacked those other grains ... mostly. The ingredients list wasn't sprinkled with so many diverse grains, but besides Degermed Yellow Corn Flour (listed first) and Corn Masa (third, after the oils), the list had Dried Black Beans in the middle and Wheat Starch dead last. We'll give the food scientists behind Pringles the benefit of the doubt that there was a good reason for including whatever small amount of wheat they did, but it was disappointing to some snackers with wheat allergies who would otherwise have tried some.
The feel was similar to the potato-based Pringles, but these were slightly crisper and a bit less brittle. The taste was very good, with lots of corn flavor brought out by a good amount of salt, plus some mildly spicy seasoning tempered a bit by a low level of ranch flavor. They really did taste like tortilla chips, and flavorful ones at that. Very good!
Shop: Buy Pringles on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Nice mildly spicy smell with a hint of ranch.
Online store: Buy Pringles on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Pringles (146 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1036 snacks)
- Tortilla Chips (594 snacks)
- Snacks in Cans (294 snacks)
- Ranch Chips (123 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at CVS Health. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Banshee Bones
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Granny Goose Tortillos
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- Taco Bell Cheddar Crisps Fire! Sauce Flavor
- Terrell's Syracuse Style Potato Chips
- Godiva Signature Milk Chocolate 8 Mini Bars
- Good & Smart Potato Crisps Sour Cream & Onion
- Lipo Mini Roll Strawberry Flavor
- Rice Krispies Treats SpongeBob Limited Edition
- Taco Bell Cheddar Crisps Nacho Flavor
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road