Oishi Potato Chips Plain Salted Flavor
Taste test: These potato chips had a pale yellow color, with most of the chips fairly small and having of a slightly powdery look on the surfaces. The color was very uniform, except for some small bits of browning on one edge of a small minority of chips. The major oddity here was that that they were labeled as "Plain Salted" but a quick look at the ingredients revealed that rather than just containing potatoes, oil and salt as expected, they substituted "Flavors" for the salt, specifying that it included several things (including MSG) in addition to salt.
I crunched in to find a very soft crunch and a good but very mild potato flavor. It wasn't bad, but it was no better (and generally weaker in flavor) than your normal potato chips with just salt. It was missing the fresh potato taste. I guess I don't see the point of the special MSG-inclusive formula, except maybe that they wanted to use less salt. Usually MSG is part of flavored potato chip recipes, but with no special flavor, it just seems unnecessary.
Shop: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad
Smell test: A little different than plain salted potato, but not really strong, so OK.
From the package: “We start with the right stuff” ... “Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil, Flavors (Maltodextrin, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Yeast Extract, Food Additive: Silicon Dioxide)”
Online store: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Super 88, Boston. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Banshee Bones
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Curry Flavor
- Welch's Red Apple Chips
- Frooze Balls Peanut Butter & Jelly
- 7-Select Strawberry Jelly Peanut Butter Cups
- Bumble Bee Seafoods Wild Caught Tuna Roasted Garlic & Herb
- Lil' Dutch Maid Iced Oatmeal Cookies
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road