Lay's Zhou Hei Ya Spicy Braised Duck Neck
Taste test: This bag of Lay's from China promised a flavor that sounded quite different from anything we've eaten on a potato chip. I opened the bag to find that the chips looked pretty ordinary, generally small, with somewhat wiggly shapes that had some bubbles embedded inside and yellow surfaces with areas of browning. There were some very sparse, fine, orange and green seasoning bits, but I had to look really closely to see them.
I crunched in to find a nice crisp feel and good crunch, with quite the explosion of flavor. I've eaten Peking Duck with hoisin sauce (as well as a Pringles flavor based on it), and this vaguely reminded me of that, but the level of heat here was completely different. It packed a pretty good punch, which isn't something that I've had with duck before — and that's fine, because it didn't claim to be Peking duck. It was really quite tasty, and the heat lingered for a while in the aftertaste, at which point I detected a hint of sichuan pepper too.
The bag seemed to show the bottom of a duck's face, similar to how Lay's has depicted people's smiles on recent American bags.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Nice tangy smell, maybe like hoisin sauce.
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (231 snacks)
- Snacks from China (129 reviews)
- Potato Chips (2020 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1064 snacks)
- Duck (4 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2020
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Bean Boozled Fiery Five
- Raylicious Carrot Cake
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road