Lay's Zhou Hei Ya Spicy Braised Duck Neck
Taste test: This bag of Lay's from China promised a flavor that sounded quite different from anything we've eaten on a potato chip. I opened the bag to find that the chips looked pretty ordinary, generally small, with somewhat wiggly shapes that had some bubbles embedded inside and yellow surfaces with areas of browning. There were some very sparse, fine, orange and green seasoning bits, but I had to look really closely to see them.
I crunched in to find a nice crisp feel and good crunch, with quite the explosion of flavor. I've eaten Peking Duck with hoisin sauce (as well as a Pringles flavor based on it), and this vaguely reminded me of that, but the level of heat here was completely different. It packed a pretty good punch, which isn't something that I've had with duck before — and that's fine, because it didn't claim to be Peking duck. It was really quite tasty, and the heat lingered for a while in the aftertaste, at which point I detected a hint of sichuan pepper too.
The bag seemed to show the bottom of a duck's face, similar to how Lay's has depicted people's smiles on recent American bags.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Nice tangy smell, maybe like hoisin sauce.
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (225 snacks)
- Snacks from China (123 reviews)
- Potato Chips (1997 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1035 snacks)
- Duck (4 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at 99 Asian Supermarket, Malden, Massachusetts. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Banshee Bones
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Granny Goose Tortillos
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- Snyder's of Hanover Rounds Butter Flavored
- Clancy's Roasted Sweet Corn Popcorn
- StarKist Bold Creations Microwavables Tuna Spicy Rice & Beans
- Milka Daim
- Clancy's White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
- Non Stop Munchies Spices Treat Potato Chips
- Sara Lee For Me! Cinnamon Crumb Cake
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road