Lay's Kettle Cooked Wasabi Ginger
We opened the bag to find that the chips had very wiggly shapes and a strong yellow color, with quite a few smallish bubbles embedded inside, some skin on the edges and many bits of green on the surfaces. We crunched in and immediately noticed lots of ginger flavor, followed by a mild wasabi sensation, then the return of ginger in the aftertaste. (For wasabi purists, we checked the ingredients, and these actually contain horseradish, not wasabi.) We've had quite a few wasabi snacks that had a stronger wasabi kick (plus a few with less). More wasabi would have been better here, no question. Not even necessarily a ton of it, but at least more than a hint. Still, we can't complain much — the mix of ginger, slight wasabi/horseradish, various other spices and potato was really tasty. Lay's, please add more wasabi to create something special here, but even if you don't, we'll give these a big thumbs-up.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very mild ginger smell. That's all.
From the package: “Submitted by: Meneko Spinger McBeth” ... “My grandmother is Japanese and I have always loved when she would make sushi. My favorite part was mixing wasabi with soy sauce and dipping.” ... “Try all 4 & vote!” ... “Lay's Do Us A Flavor Contest voting is open to legal residents of the 50 US sates or DC, 13 or older, beginning 7/28/14, 12:00:01 a.m. CT and ending 10/18/14, 11:59:59 p.m. CT.”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2004 snacks)
- Limited Editions (412 snacks)
- Wasabi or Horseradish Chips (62 snacks)
- Ginger Snacks (57 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Star Market (formerly Shaws, and Star Market again before that), Porter Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Banshee Bones
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Curry Flavor
- Welch's Red Apple Chips
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road