Lay's Original (Taiwan)
Taste test: This Taiwanese version of Lay's Potato Chips looked pretty much like the American version we're accustomed to, featuring a pale yellow color with some more golden areas, a thin cut, just a few bits of skin around the edges, and no visible seasoning powder.
We crunched in and were surprised by how much flavor there was, as the taste was not the same as the standard American Lay's. We we checked the ingredients and discovered that it definitely wasn't the same recipe (which would involve just potatoes, oil and salt) but rather there were several additional flavorings, including sugar and garlic powder. This was particularly surprising, not just because we couldn't really see any of it on the chips, but because the bag was labeled as "original" flavor. There wasn't so much of those flavors that you could specifically taste them much, but there was still enough to alter the taste of the potato. Anyway, the chips were crisp, and the taste was good.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Fairly mild potato smell, but good.
From the package: “Product name: Potato chips (American Style)” ... “Ingredients: Potato, Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Salt, Soybean Sauce (Soy Sauce, Sugar, Salt), Garlic Powder, Spicy Powder, Seasoning.”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Snacks from Taiwan (96 reviews)
- Potato Chips (2004 snacks)
- Regular Potato Chips (252 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Thai Kee IGA Supermarket, at Market City (above Paddy's Market) in Sydney, Australia. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Banshee Bones
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Snickers Peanut Brownie
- Hostess Donettes Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow
- Hostess Twinkies Mint Chocolate
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road