Taste test: These hot sauce-flavored chips from Lay's (introduced along with Cheesy Garlic Bread and Chicken & Waffles for the "Do Us A Flavor" promotion) had a nice orange glow overall, with a sparse covering of some dark bits of seasoning. Most of the chips were somewhat wiggly, with a few bits of skin on the edges.
I crunched in to find an excellent texture, as there was a very high level of crispness and a mild, brittle crunch. The great crispness helped to bring out the tasty hot sauce, which started out fairly mild in terms of flavor and heat, then grew a bit hotter in the aftertaste. Unlike some hot sauce chips that end up being all heat and no flavor, these did have some nice flavor, but only some — not lots. I could taste the peppers, maybe a bit of garlic, but it was nothing special, and it was far from the taste explosion that you get from Sriracha sauce. With top-notch texture, moderate flavor and moderate heat, these were pretty good, but not in the top echelon of hot chips.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very mild. Not any real kick of hot sauce, especially considering the garlic and hot pepper pictured on the bag.
From the package: “Flavor Finalist” ... “Vote to save your fave” ... “Grandma's homemade chips were always accompanied with a dab of our favorite sriracha hot sauce. Nothing's better than old memories.” ... “Try all 3 and vote!”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2004 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1043 snacks)
- Limited Editions (412 snacks)
- Sriracha Snacks (32 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Star Market (formerly Shaws, and Star Market again before that), Porter Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Banshee Bones
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Curry Flavor
- Welch's Red Apple Chips
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road