Lay's Strong холодец c хреном (Holodets with Horseradish)
Taste test: This Russian flavor of Lay's tried to duplicate the flavor of holodets (which is apparently sort of like a meat broth suspended inside gelatin) with horseradish — a Russian dish that we've never eaten but we found via some googling that many visitors to Russia don't find to be so delicious.
The chips were wide-rippled and had a golden yellow color, with occasional bits of skin on the edges and not much seasoning powder visible. We crunched in to find a strong taste that was loosely like beef broth, but with quite a bit more to it, including some horseradish flavor and kick. Some chips had much more of the horseradish than others. None of our snackers had much of an idea what to expect after hearing a description of the flavor, but most who were willing to try a few chips ended up very much enjoying the taste. A small minority did not think much of these, but overall these unusual chips made a very favorable impression.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Pretty weird. On first whiff, I thought it was like a beef broth, but when I tried again, sort of like cabbage soup.
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (225 snacks)
- Snacks from Russia (7 reviews)
- Potato Chips (1997 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (594 snacks)
- Wasabi or Horseradish Chips (62 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Stephanie Stoll in Moscow. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Banshee Bones
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Granny Goose Tortillos
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- Taco Bell Cheddar Crisps Fire! Sauce Flavor
- Terrell's Syracuse Style Potato Chips
- Godiva Signature Milk Chocolate 8 Mini Bars
- Good & Smart Potato Crisps Sour Cream & Onion
- Lipo Mini Roll Strawberry Flavor
- Rice Krispies Treats SpongeBob Limited Edition
- Taco Bell Cheddar Crisps Nacho Flavor
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road