Lay's Numb & Spicy Hot Pot Flavor
Taste test: This version of Lay's from China jumped right out and screamed "Buy me!" as soon as I saw the "Numb & Spicy" name. What does that even mean? I had no idea, other than that I needed to eat some.
The chips had very narrow ripples and a light orange color, with a light smattering of darkish seasoning powder. Most of the chips were smallish and had gentle curves. The real appeal here was the potential for some serious spice, as well as the opportunity to finally taste a flavor described as "Numb" after reviewing more than 8000 snacks without encountering such an item.
I crunched in to find a light crunch and a serious kick of flavor. You name it — zesty, tangy, spicy, hot — those all applied here. The flavors just lit up the mouth in so many ways, with a type of spice I'd never experienced. Most of the ingredients were things we've seen on chips before, but Sichuan Pepper stood out as a new one, so maybe that was what did it. A definite must-try for fans of spicy food.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Wow, whatever peppers they used here had a different kind of zing than anything else we've tried. A real kick in the face. Impressive.
From the package: “Ingredients: Potato, vegetable oil, spicy hot pot seasoning (sugar, MSG, soy sauce, maltodextrin, salt, artificial flavors, soybean, whey, garlic, chili, onion, sesame, sichuan pepper, fennel, silicon dioxide, spices, Paprika & Paprika oleoresin, Disodium 5'-ribonucleotide, aspartame).” ... “Product of China”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (225 snacks)
- Snacks from China (123 reviews)
- Potato Chips (1997 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1035 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (594 snacks)
- Chili Chips (225 snacks)
This snack was discovered at Reno Asian Supermarket. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Banshee Bones
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Granny Goose Tortillos
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- StarKist Bold Creations Microwavables Tuna Spicy Rice & Beans
- Milka Daim
- Clancy's White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
- Non Stop Munchies Spices Treat Potato Chips
- Sara Lee For Me! Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- Cravingz Spongiez Chocolate
- Lay's Big Wave Spicy Hot Pot
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road