Lay's New England Lobster Roll
Taste test: In name at least, this flavor was probably the most shocking to see on a potato chip out of the eight regional flavors in the Lay's Tastes of America promotion — and they just happened to send this one to my region. It promised the taste of a buttered lobster roll, but a pre-eating reading of the ingredients revealed no actual lobster inside.
Time to eat! The chips had curvy shapes with strong yellow surfaces bearing a heavy smattering of large seasoning bits, most of them greenish and some reddish. I crunched in to find a soft crunch and a tasty mix of seasonings that didn't exactly scream "Lobster!" to me but did deliver maybe a hit of it beneath a main flavor that was creamy, buttery and oniony.
If you've never had a lobster roll, I don't think this would do much of a job of introducing you to the experience, and if you've had lots of them and crave another, I doubt this would be much of a substitute. So I don't see a real point to these chips, other than shock value. But they were good chips.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Nice savory smell, but not particularly lobster-y.
From the package: “Inspired by the lobster shacks of the Northeast, here's a taste of fresh lobster served on a buttery grilled roll. It's wicked good!” ... “Bring home the flavor for a chance to win the daily prizes!”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2005 snacks)
- Limited Editions (414 snacks)
- Seafood Snacks (62 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Star Market (formerly Shaws, and Star Market again before that), Porter Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Banshee Bones
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Good Life Finute Corn Chips
- Cadina Potato Chips Crinkle Cut XO Sauce Flavor
- Today Cocoa 3 Bites
- Blekis Bléo Crème
- Snickers Peanut Brownie
- Hostess Donettes Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow
- Hostess Twinkies Mint Chocolate
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road