Lay's Kettle Cooked Lattice Cut Aged Cheddar & Black Pepper
Taste test: These cross-rippled potato chips (introduced by Lay's along with a garlic & sea salt flavor) had a middling level of bits of black pepper adhering mostly inside the ripples, with some nearly-white cheese powder on the surfaces too, for an overall color that was a fairly pale shade of yellow.
We crunched in to find that the intersecting ripples gave the chips an impressively solid crunch — not quite too hard, but about as solid as you'd want it to be. The taste was very, very mildly peppery, as the cheese was far more noticeable. There was some black pepper in the aftertaste, but still just a hint. Mildly flavored but tasty and nicely crunchy.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Mild pepper and even milder cheddar, but pretty nice!
From the package: “Take a moment to relax, unwind from your day and savor right now— one delicious bite at a time.” ... “The inspired open cut of our lattice chip allows smooth aged cheddar and bursts of black pepper to come together in rich waves of flavor. We start with Lay's® signature potatoes, sliced twice. Kettle cook 'em in small batches until their extra crunchy and crisp. And let the simple fresh tasting, goodness of real ingredients shine.”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (231 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2020 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (606 snacks)
- Cheddar Snacks (427 snacks)
- Salt & Pepper Chips (131 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2014
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Star Market (formerly Shaws, and Star Market again before that), Porter Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Review published March 2014.
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Raylicious Carrot Cake
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
- Pringles Scorchin' Chili & Lime
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road