Lay's American Style Cream & Onion Flavour
Taste test: These narrow-rippled chips were an irresistible buy for me, as the whole idea of how they came to be sold where they were was just too crazy to resist.
I think the sequence of events was that the Indian arm of Pepsi/Frito-Lay created a product that duplicated the taste of the American version of Lay's Sour Cream & Onion to sell in India, where such a flavor is apparently a novelty. Then things took a strange turn as someone imported it to the USA to sell at Indian grocery stores, including two where we spotted these — the same USA where practically every store sells the chips that these were based on in the first place. For other Indian Lay's flavors like Magic Masala and Lime 'n' Masala Masti, importing made sense, but this flavor was a whole different deal. Weird, huh?
Anyway, the chips weren't actually the same, as unlike the flat American Lay's, some of the international versions are narrow-rippled (and yet not labeled as Ruffles). But they were good, with a good crispness, minor crunch and very nice, fairly mild sour cream and onion flavor.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Not much at all. Just the slightest sour cream and onion smell.
From the package: “Indulge in Lay's® American Style Cream & Onion Flavour 'n' watch the world slow down around you. Be DilLogical®”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Snacks from India (93 reviews)
- Potato Chips (2004 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (599 snacks)
- Sour Cream & Onion Chips (138 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Little India, Somerville, Massachusetts. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Banshee Bones
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Hostess Donettes Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow
- Hostess Twinkies Mint Chocolate
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Garlic Grilled Shrimp
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road