Lay's Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro
Taste test: This entry in the Lay's Do Us A Flavor promotion (released alongside Truffles Fries, New York Reuben and Southern Biscuits and Gravy) promised to taste like a sandwich stuffed with the tasty Greek meat and lots of fixin's.
The chips had wiggly shapes, like the other Lay's kettle-cooked versions, with generally a dull yellow color and a good helping of greenish seasoning.
I crunched in to find a crunchy feel and a taste that just didn't impress me. The mix of spices was generally OK, not really tasty but not bad, but something in there (not sure what) just was a bit icky. The overall mix didn't taste like gyro meat, nor tzatziki sauce or fresh veggies. It wasn't spit-out bad, but it wasn't good either. If someone had offered me these chips with no indication of flavor, there's no way that I would have guessed "Greektown Gyro" or anything like that.
In terms of sequence, this was reviewed after Truffles Fries but before I had even managed to find a bag of New York Reuben or Southern Biscuits and Gravy. Even without the benefit of eating those last two, I'll put out my prediction right now that this one does not win.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Weird. Weird. Weird.
From the package: “There's a great little Greek place in town that makes the most amazing gyros. That uniquely cooked and flavored meat, covered in tzatziki sauce, onions, lettuce, and feta cheese fresh pita…mmm!”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2004 snacks)
- Limited Editions (414 snacks)
- Meat Flavored Chips (112 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Star Market (formerly Shaws, and Star Market again before that), Porter Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Banshee Bones
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Hostess Donettes Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow
- Hostess Twinkies Mint Chocolate
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Garlic Grilled Shrimp
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road