Lay's Flavor Swap Smoked Gouda & Chive
Taste test: These potato chips were part of a Lay's "Flavor Swap" promotion that matched them up against Cheddar & Sour Cream in a battle for survival on the snack shelf.
The chips had curvy shapes and a pale yellow color, with some bubbles embedded inside and a smattering of green bits on the surfaces. The chips had a paler color than shown in the picture on the bag, and the green things were smaller than shown. There were lots of unbroken chips, some quite large, in the medium-size bag.
I crunched in to my first chip to find a very tasty little explosion of flavor, as the mix of gouda and chives was quite delicious. As I ate more chips, that initially great flavor seemed much more ordinary, like a dulled-down Sour Cream & Onion. I also noticed that the texture wasn't so impressive, as the chips didn't have a particularly crisp feel. I wouldn't say that they were stale, but Lay's chips typically have a very nice light snap to them, and these chips didn't have that crispness. They first bite seemed very promising, but ultimately these chips disappointed.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very nice tangy gouda smell. Mmmmm!
From the package: “Cheddar & Sour Cream vs. Smoked Gouda & Chive. One Stays. One Goes.”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (218 snacks)
- Potato Chips (1988 snacks)
- Limited Editions (409 snacks)
- Cheese (312 snacks)
- Chive Chips (21 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Speedway. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Lay's Flavor Icons Chile Relleno
- Takis Blue Heat
- Lay's Flavor Icons Nashville Hot Chicken
- 7 Select Loco Rollers Habanero + Lime
- Yum Earth Organic Gummy Fruits
- Lay's Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- Wanted Pops Wafer
- Churros Cacau do Brasil
- Bumble Bee Seafoods Wild Caught Tuna Lemon & Pepper
- Señorial Bolitas Queso
What We're Eating
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road