Lay's Chicken & Waffles
Taste test: This was the most anticipated of the three "Do Us A Flavor" varieties from Lays (the other two were Sriracha and Cheesy Garlic Bread) and unfortunately they disappointed by not tasting much like chicken or waffles, let alone chicken and waffles.
The chips didn't appear to have much special seasoning, with just a few bits of black. I crunched in to find a soft crunch and good crispness. There was a hint of sweetness in the first bite, but really nothing that seemed to be like waffles or syrup. We've reviewed a number of chips that were supposed to taste like chicken, many of which really did. These did not, or if they did at all, the resemblance to chicken was really, really remote. I noticed in the aftertaste a hint of black pepper. That's not something that I would tend to associate with chicken & waffles, though I suppose it could be among the spices in the fried chicken's breading. If black pepper was the closest connection that these had to chicken, that's not good. The mix of seasonings wasn't a bad taste at all, but just not anything close to chicken & waffles.
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Weird. There's kind of a hint of maple syrup in there, and maybe some fried food or even chicken-like sort of smell, but if I had taken my first whiff without knowing it was supposed to be chicken & waffles, I don't think I would have had any idea what it was.
From the package: “Flavor Finalist” ... “Vote to save your fave” ... “Try all 3 and vote!” ... “Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Corn, and/or Canola Oil), Chicken & Waffles Seasoning (Brown Sugar, Sugar, Salt, Maltodextrin [Made From Corn], Soybean Oil, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor [Including Chicken Flavor], Gum Acacia, Onion Powder, Skim Milk, Spices, Caramel Color, Mixed Triglycerides, Garlic Powder, and Paprika). Contains milk ingredients.”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (227 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2004 snacks)
- Limited Editions (412 snacks)
- Chicken Snacks (85 snacks)
- Breakfast snacks (69 snacks)
- Waffles (31 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at CVS Health. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Banshee Bones
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Unique Belgique Pearl Sugar Belgian Waffle
- Karamucho Corn Snacks Spicy Curry
- Koloko Pea Crackers Extreme Spicy
- Calbee Grill-A-Corn Hot & Spicy
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Cadina All Natural Potato Chips Curry Flavor
- Welch's Red Apple Chips
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road