Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
Taste test: These potato chips (which are joined in the Flavor Icons line by Chile Relleno, New York Pizza, Philly Cheesesteak and Nashville Hot Chicken) had a flavor based on California Mexican restaurant chain El Torito's recipe. The chips had wide ripples and a strong yellow color, plus lots of large seasoning bits on the surfaces. I'm a big taco fan, though I've never eaten at El Torito, so I was eager to try them.
I crunched in to find a lot of fairly intense seasoning, spicy though not hot, quite a nice taste that probably isn't inconsistent with a carnitas taco. But even as a frequent eater of many tacos with various meats inside, including carnitas, I don't think I could have pinpointed this as a taco flavor, and definitely not a carnitas taco flavor, without the help of the bag. Tasty!
Shop: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very intense on first whiff, then more like some sort of charred meat.
From the package: “Inspired by the dish from El Torito that has everyone in Los Angeles talking, here's a taste of their Carnitas street tacos.”
Online store: Buy Lay's on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Lay's Potato Chips (231 snacks)
- Potato Chips (2019 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (606 snacks)
- Limited Editions (419 snacks)
- Meat Flavored Chips (111 snacks)
- Taco Snacks (38 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2020
This snack was contributed to Taquitos.net by the manufacturer. Review published July 2020.
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
- Pringles Scorchin' Chili & Lime
- Tortrix Con Chicharrón
- Nestlé Lion (Poland)
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road