Herr's Bacon Jalapeño Cheddar Rippled Potato Chips
Taste test: These wide-rippled potato chips went a step beyond the common bacon/cheddar flavor combination by adding some jalapeño heat to the mix. This wasn't the first time that Herr's combined those three tastes onto a chip; we've previously reviewed their non-rippled Kettle Cooked Cheddar Bacon Jalapeño chips. In this case, the order of mention in the snack's name changed, as bacon got first billing, then cheddar. The irony was that in both cases, the dominant flavor was the one that they mentioned last, jalapeño.
The chips had the excellent crispness and light crunch that we've come to expect from Herr's wide-rippled chips. The colors of the surfaces ranged from light yellow to nicely glowing light orange, as the distribution of flavor powder wasn't even. The flavors followed suit; the more orange pieces had quite a bit of kick, while the lighter-colored ones were comparatively weak. For the ones with lots of flavor powder, the taste was hot, but it wasn't quite the typical jalapeño flavor, as the bacon and cheddar certainly had some effect. But there was so much going on with the flavor that it was hard to savor the bacon and cheddar when they were competing with all that heat. Still good and a bit addictive, but this particular three-way flavor combination didn't bring out the best of all three flavors.
Shop: Buy Herr's Snacks on Amazon #ad
Smell test: A bit strange, but there was a hint of something like bacon and some cheddar.
From the package: “Herr's takes the finest potatoes and cooks them in pure vegetable oil to a golden crispy crunch and then tops them with the awesome flavor combination of smoky bacon, spicy green jalapeño and sharp cheddar cheese.”
Online store: Buy Herr's Snacks on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- Potato Chips (2020 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1064 snacks)
- Ripple Chips (606 snacks)
- Cheddar Snacks (427 snacks)
- Jalapeno Snacks (246 snacks)
- Bacon Flavor Snacks (141 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2013
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Bean Boozled Fiery Five Challenge
- Raylicious Carrot Cake
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road