Doritos Heat Wave Chipotle Cream
Taste test: These chips were the first we've found (along with a concurrently discovered BBQ version) that promised a two-stage taste, starting "cool and tangy" and then super-hot. We've actually noticed just this pattern in many snacks we've reviewed, but in this case it was actually the stated point of the snack.
The chips looked like fairly standard Doritos, with a color much like the Nacho Cheese ones. There appeared to be a lot of powder on the surfaces. I crunched in to find the usual excellent Doritos crunch, with an initial taste that was indeed creamy and not hot, but also a bit strange. Not really bad, but just an odd taste briefly. As promised, it quickly transitioned into a hot chipotle pepper taste. Initially, it was just somewhat hot, but the heat kept growing strong for a few minutes in the aftertaste, so I would say it ended up impressively hot. Not world-record hot (Hi Paqui Carolina Reaper!) or anything close, but still pretty hot. Pretty good.
Shop: Buy Doritos on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Good zesty smell, but not too different from the Cool Ranch ones.
From the package: “2 experiences in 1 chip” ... “First chipotle cream then heat” ... “New Doritos HeatWave delivers a one-two kick. First it's cool and tangy, then it's — WAIT FOR IT — fiery hot. Once you crunch, a burst of heat is released for an intense flavor experience.”
Online store: Buy Doritos on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Doritos (152 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1063 snacks)
- Tortilla Chips (594 snacks)
- Chipotle Snacks (46 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2017
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
- Pringles Scorchin' Chili & Lime
- Tortrix Con Chicharrón
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road