Doritos Heat Wave Barbecue
Taste test: Like the companion Heat Wave flavor Chipotle Cream, this Doritos flavor promised a two-stage taste, in this case a sweet and smoky barbecue followed by a massive wave of heat.
The chips looked pretty much like ordinary Doritos, with an orange color much like the Nacho Cheese ones. I crunched in to find that the first taste was indeed smoky and sweet without being hot. Barbecue is fairly rare among the wide array of Doritos flavors (we've reviewed more than 100), so aside from being a bit novel, it was also quite tasty, with a nice mix of sweetness and smoke. Even with a delay, there wasn't much heat from that first chip. So I ate about five more. That helped to build up some heat in my mouth, but it really didn't hit like a wave and wasn't super-hot. It didn't even match the heat level of the Chipotle Cream ones. Still, a good taste, and a delayed heat as advertised. Just not that hot.
Shop: Buy Doritos on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very nice sweet, tangy and especially smoky barbecue smell.
From the package: “2 experiences in 1 chip” ... “First chipotle cream then heat” ... “New Doritos HeatWave delivers a one-two kick. First it's sweet and smoky, then it's — WAIT FOR IT — fiery hot. Once you crunch, a burst of heat is released for an intense flavor experience.”
Online store: Buy Doritos on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- All Doritos (149 snacks)
- Hot Snacks (1035 snacks)
- Tortilla Chips (594 snacks)
- Barbecue Snacks (482 snacks)
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Stop & Shop. Review published .
Most popular reviews
- Banshee Bones
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Granny Goose Tortillos
- Lay's Flavor Icons Wavy Carnitas Street Taco
- StarKist Bold Creations Microwavables Tuna Spicy Rice & Beans
- Milka Daim
- Clancy's White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
- Non Stop Munchies Spices Treat Potato Chips
- Sara Lee For Me! Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- Cravingz Spongiez Chocolate
- Lay's Big Wave Spicy Hot Pot
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road