Chennai Special Thattai
Taste test: These chips had an unusual composition, combining rice, lentils and chickpeas. The picture on the bag wasn't all that helpful, as it had me expecting some sort of ring-shape snack, but really they looked kind of remotely like extra-thick potato chips with a pale beige color.
I crunched in to find that they didn't taste or feel like potato chips. There was a very strong, solid crunch and kind of wheat-like feel. The taste was mild but good. After reading the ingredients and seeing Chili Powder, I was expecting some sort of heat. The taste initially had no heat whatsoever, but there was a mild burn in the very delayed aftertaste. A good one.
Shop: Buy snacks on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Very mild.
From the package: “Ingredients: Rice flour, Refined Peanut Oil, Lentil flour, Chick peas, Chili powder, Til Seeds (Sesame seeds), Salt,Asafoetida.” ... “Product of India”
Online store: Buy snacks on Amazon #ad
Categories for this snack:
- Snacks from India (98 reviews)
- Hot Snacks (1064 snacks)
- Rice Chips (84 snacks)
- Lentil Chips (13 snacks)
- Chickpea Snacks (8 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2018
This snack was discovered by Jeremy at Patel Brothers Indian Marketplace, Waltham, Massachsetts. Review published December 2018.
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Bean Boozled Fiery Five Challenge
- Raylicious Carrot Cake
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road