Big Papi's Blue Tortilla Chips
Taste test: Having recently completed his baseball career, it seems that David Ortiz is expanding his second career in making tortilla chips. Last year, when Papi was still playing for the Red Sox, we ate and reviewed his original version, and now, just a month after his retirement, we discovered that he's also selling this blue corn version.
Like the originals, these large chips were cut into shapes just like home plate, with some minor wiggles and bumps on the surfaces, but generally they were quite faithful to the intended shape. They had a dark gray color, with maybe a touch of blue, like most blue corn chips. Impressively, almost all of the chips were unbroken. I crunched in to find that they had a light crunch and a pretty good crispness, with a mild corn taste. I ate them with some thick 5-layer dip, and the chips were plenty strong to handle lots of dip. All in all, pretty good chips.
Shop: Buy tortilla chips on Amazon #ad
Smell test: Strong corn smell.
From the package: “Home plate shaped” ... “Gluten free” ... “Made with sea salt & organic corn” ... “Growing up in the Dominican Republic, David Ortiz was raised on the fresh, flavorful tastes of Latin cuisine. In his home of Boston, David is still remains loyal to these Latin roots and the memories of his native Dominican Republic. With Big Papi's kitchen, David can share those great tasting memories while also supporting the David Ortiz Children's Fund, raising funds that provide access to children in the Dominican Republic and the Northeastern United States to the critical pediatric care they need to live full, productive lives.”
Online store: Buy tortilla chips on Amazon #ad
Company: Big Papi's Kitchen LLC
Categories for this snack:
- Tortilla Chips (594 snacks)
- Snacks Shaped Like Things (395 snacks)
- Baseball Snacks (23 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2016
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Kettle Chips Crispy Bacon & Maple Syrup with Norfolk Bacon
- Raylicious Rice Treats
- Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Mini Pieces
- Lotus Biscoff & Go
- Rap Snacks Icon Notorious B.I.G. Honey Jalapeño Potato Chips
- Pringles Scorchin' Chili & Lime
- Tortrix Con Chicharrón
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road