Taste test: This new version of M&M's didn't attempt to stand out with a new flavor or special color, but instead it boasted increased size, claiming that each piece had three times as much chocolate as your usual M&M's. We ripped open the bag to find that they were indeed bigger. Each piece had about the same diameter as a nickel. But that's still not a particularly big snack, so Mega sounded a bit overstated. The M's printed on the surfaces were the same size as the ones on regular M's. That seemed like a poor choice. A larger M, proportional to the larger M&M — like the one in the Mega logo on the bag — might have reinforced the Mega look. Instead, the small M looked lost amid the large surface.
The pieces came in mostly the same colors as regular M&M's: red, green, yellow, blue and orange, but in this bag at least, there were no brown ones. (I'm not crying over the lack of brown ones, but I do still miss the tan ones.) They tasted like M&M's. The same. There were far less of them in the bag than in a bag of regular-sizes ones, but we were impressed to find that there were still quite a few. Given that the taste was the same and you basically got one-third as many pieces that were each three times the size, the Mega concept seemed way less exciting after we ate them than when we first discovered them.
Shop: Buy M&M's at Amazon #ad
Smell test: Regular M&M's smell.
From the package: “3X the chocolate per piece”
Online store: Buy M&M's at Amazon #ad
Company: Mars Wrigley Confectionery US, LLC
Categories for this snack:
- All M&M's (55 snacks)
- Chocolate (1805 snacks)
- Larger versions of smaller snacks (21 snacks)
- Snacks reviewed in 2014
Most popular reviews
- Takis Blue Heat
- Moon Lodge The Whole Shabang Potato Chips
- Doritos Late Night All Nighter Cheeseburger
- Andy Capp's Salsa Fries
- Tostitos Holiday Bite Size Tortilla Chips
- Pringles Scorchin' Cheddar
- Milka Caramel
- Hal's New York Kettle Chips Sea Salt & Vinegar
- 7 Select Flavored Jumbo Peanuts Wasabi Soy
- Jacob's Baked Crinklys Cheese & Onion
- Trolli Sour Crunchy Crawlers
- Yupi Gople Con Todo Original
What We're Eating
- Finally, Cheetos-branded mac & cheese!
- Lay's gets a new logo
- What does Chewbacca eat?
- Dirt Cake: What do kids think?
- The George Lucas Diet
- The long and crunchy road