Coming soon to a snack store near you
Frito-Lay's new snacks for 2006
By Jeremy Selwyn
Chief Snacks Officer
Snacking giant Frito-Lay has revealed its lineup of new snacks scheduled to hit stores this year. These include some exciting new products, and we're looking forward to reviewing them.
Here's the list, along with my initial (pre-tasting) thoughs on the new products:
- Sun Chips Garden Salsa - Sun Chips are always tasty, and they work well as part of a snack mix, though for some reason they're not really a snack that I crave. Here's hoping that this salsa flavor has some zing.
- Lay's Stax Hot 'n Spicy KC Masterpiece Barbecue - Glad to see a hot flavor in the Stax lineup. Hope it's really hot.
- Tostitos Reduced Fat Zesty Cheese Dip - "Reduced fat" and "cheese" often isn't the best combination. Cheese just tastes better when you leave in the fat. Maybe they figured out a way to do it right.
- Lay's Light Sour Cream & Onion - "Light" is the new brand name for the Olestra "Wow" chips. Might not be willing to try these.
- Lay's Baked! Cheddar & Sour Cream - The funny thing is that they had this same flavor of Baked Ruffles a few years back, and it looked like almost exactly the same thing.
- Doritos Fiery Habanero - Bring on the heat! It's too bad they won't consistently keep hot Doritos like Salsa Verde on the market. I hope these stick.
- Cheetos Crunchy Twisted - With most of the new cheese puff shapes coming in puffed rather than crunchy versions, I am very eager to try these.
- Baked Cheetos Crunchy Flamin' Hot - Seems like some Flamin' Hot varieties tend to come and go from stores. I wish the non-baked ones were easier to find, though the baked ones will probably taste pretty good too.
- Tostitos Sensations Roasted Garlic & Herb - Nice to see that Frito-Lay is offering flavored tortilla chips. Let's hope this is the first of several Tostitos Sensations varieties.
- Lay's Sensations Sweet Chili & Sour Cream - I hope these and other Sensations flavors are here for good. Too bad they discontinued several good Lay's Bistro Gourmet flavors a few years back.
- Tostitos Bite Size Gold - Oddly, these were bigger than I expected. Unlike the discontinued, delicious Tostitos Bite Size Spicy Quesadilla chips, these aren't round.